Author Topic: History "Channel"  (Read 4276 times)

Cuorion

History "Channel"
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:03:08 PM »
Sorry for offtopic Cuorion, but do you know that sets with shields are implemented in IH. Do you think it's time to give phalanx /hoplite's/ set an hoplon already :)

First of all, lets make clear the difference between the Hoplite and the Phalanx.

The Hoplite was a soldier of the ancient greek times. The early version used medium armor and held a spear and a shield. It is already noted that they were given that name after their shield, the "Hoplon". They were not professional warriors. They were given a basic training and were left to continue living their social life. In case of war, all hoplites younger that 60 years old would take their equipment and join the army. It was a custom that the hoplite was responsible for his own equipment, to buy it, to keep it in good contition and to train for it, a fact that made them evolve in time to a more free role, when every hoplite would use the equipment they liked and could handle best. Thus, a couple of centuries after their first appearence, there were hoplites with heavy armor, with light armor, without shields, with swords, etc. Soon, another word was used for their equipment, "Hoplismos", which meant "everything they use to fight".

Phalanx was a tactical formation used by some ancient greek armies. It was a triangular formation with the one point targeting the enemy lines. It was irrelevant to the type of the army using it. Some armies (like the Athenean) used a Hoplite Phalanx, there were however other types as well, such as the Macedonean Sarissaphoros Phalanx.

To answer your question now, if we want to be realistic, a "Phalanx" set should not exist ingame, because there was no standard equipment used by the soldiers that fought in a Phalanx formation. A "Hoplite" set could only exist as used by the early Hoplites - medium armor, spear and shield. It should be a Ghost Stalker set. :D

What I mean is, it's just a name in a game, it doesn't need to be historically accurate. The Phalanx set is a Heavy armor set. Armor sets don't include weapons (shields are considered weapons even ingame, since weaponsmiths craft them).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:39:58 PM by Crassus »

maeof

History
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:12:19 PM »
also phalanx had 7m height spears which in ih doesn't exist. and you remind me history teacher :D

and Oh Yeah!, ima a ghost stalker

Cuorion

History
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
I don't know if it is for some reason translated in "Phalanx" in english, but it is the Sarissaphoros Warrior that had a 4-7m long spear. Phalanx was the formation name. For example, you don't call the roman legionairres "Turtles" for using that formation...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:19:13 PM by Cuorion »

maeof

History
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 06:23:25 PM »
I don't know if it is for some reason translated in "Phalanx" in english, but it is the Sarissaphoros Warrior that had a 4-7m long spear. Phalanx was the formation name. For example, you don't call the roman legionairres "Turtles" for using that formation...

Turtles *hahaha*

oh yeah, I saw that new film Centurion, love it! <3

Should we get on topic again?  I like to discuss about History

Cuorion

History
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 06:29:07 PM »
Well, in case you are interested in the famous Macedonian Phalanx (which by the way, was a square variation of the traditional one), here's a diagram.

On topic now, I've never played russian games... ???

maeof

Re: History "Channel"
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »
I like history = that's why I know Phalanx

Also I love ancient Rome. Those ancient people reminds me these days, perverts pedophiles etc.. :)
the film Centurion which was released this year, is nice because it shows reality of Rome ^^

also film Sparta about Sparta's pole's men who have fought with honour . .

yeh I like history, I kinda love it  ;)

maeof

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 10:37:05 PM »
And my favorite Battle is against Greeks and Persians, the Marathon battle.

Greeks won this battle and one of the Greeks' scouts ran 42 km to (can't remember what city, I think it was Athens) ran 42km to Athens to tell Allies that they won.

Now-a-days marathon is 42km and marathon born from this battle.

Crassus

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:45:11 PM »
Yes was Athens... He was Pheidippides... He run the entire distance with his equipment and when he reached the city and passed the message he died from stultification.
 Also an tragic poet (can't recall his name) of the time when the battle had won drop his weapons and jumped to the sea trying to hold a Persian ship from anchor ropes, so the rest of his squad take it over... When the Persians cut both of his hands he "left" the ship... and died from bleeding...

maeof

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 10:46:36 PM »
He died.. God.

"We won" *dead*

Cuorion

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »
Also an tragic poet (can't recall his name) of the time when the battle had won drop his weapons and jumped to the sea trying to hold a Persian ship from anchor ropes, so the rest of his squad take it over... When the Persians cut both of his hands he "left" the ship... and died from bleeding...

Actually, it was a tragic poet's brother. Cynegirus, brother of Aeschylus. ;)

In my opinion now, the battle of Marathon was a strategical masterpiece, with the Athenians being outnumbered at least 3:1 and ending the battle with only ~200 dead soldiers.

"The enemy directly in their path...realised to their horror that [the Athenians], far from providing the easy pickings for their bowmen, as they had first imagined, were not going to be halted...The impact was devastating. The Athenians had honed their style of fighting in combat with other phalanxes, wooden shields smashing against wooden shields, iron spear tips clattering against breastplates of bronze...in those first terrible seconds of collision, there was nothing but a pulverizing crash of metal into flesh and bone; then the rolling of the Athenian tide over men wearing, at most, quilted jerkins for protection, and armed, perhaps, with nothing more than bows or slings. The hoplites' ash spears, rather than shivering...could instead stab and stab again, and those of the enemy who avoided their fearful jabbing might easily be crushed to death beneath the sheer weight of the advancing men of bronze."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:29:30 PM by Cuorion »

mr_ferid

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:54:52 AM »
who know great roman tactic ?

Offline newcomer

• Tier 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 09:29:08 AM »
Battle of Marathon. It's first case of double envelopment maneuver recorded as far as I know. Hannibal had used it two centuries later during battle of Cannae. Great victory for Ionians.
..ave Europa nostra vera Patria...

Dominia - The Prophecy

maeof

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 10:40:39 AM »
Anyway, I have to brag of my country, and I want to know if abroad people knows something about it

at 1386-1434 Grand Duchy of Lithuania (Grand Principality of Lithuania) was biggest country in the Europe.
Till Livonia(Christians, because we(lithuanians) were pagans) started to attack us seriuosly.
the Lithuanians' land followed from Baltic sea to the Black sea.

Map of Europe in 1328. Over the next 100 years Lithuania would grow to reach the Black Sea

for the end, Grand Duchy of Lithuania ended with new rule '' Veto ''.

Offline newcomer

• Tier 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 11:41:14 AM »
You were the last pagans in Europe. When I play MTW Early XL (I usually play with Danes) Lithuania is my first victim. If I start war with English or Spaniards and left them on their own Novgorod or Kievian Rus finish them for good after twenty or so years. Very rarely lithuanians manage to overcome the slavs and become a power in northeastern europe. As for High middle ages mongol warriors are unstoppable and destroy all states on their way including Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

P.S. About Teutonic order I remember Battle of Grunwald. Soviet propaganda liked to compare it with WWII.
..ave Europa nostra vera Patria...

Dominia - The Prophecy

maeof

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »
Yes, we there last pagans in europe, our ruler wanted to make us christians, well, later he made us, but Livonia still continued attacks on us.

Mongols were strong, but we still managed them to push a little