Author Topic: Experience for kills when you lose battles  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Tacheron

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
Experience for kills when you lose battles
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:07:59 AM »
The topic title is pretty straightforward - I think we should be awarded XP for kills even in battles which we have lost overall. Gold shouldn't be awarded (since there wouldn't be time to pick it up when you're in full retreat :P), but I don't see why we shouldn't get the experience award if we kill i.e. 3/5 enemies...

Offline Charon

• Tier 3
    • View Profile
Re: Experience for kills when you lose battles
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:08:52 PM »
Exactly! +1

chegewara

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:14:16 PM »
i dont agree. when you build a building and this building collapse under its own weight, did someone will pay you for that? when you lose battle you just died, you want experience for that?
then maybe we should gain only part crafting points when you craft common item and you have over 300 CP?

Offline Charon

• Tier 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 01:21:20 PM »
Yes' that'd be good also, to get crafting points for normal items as well. Just a little bit, but your crafting skill still improoveswhen you're crafting.
Same for battles - we learn from our mistakes. And every battle gives us something to learn, so some experience should be awarded. We do not die as in the real world, we keep our stuff and regenerate health.. So the death is not the problem

chegewara

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »
thats why we dont lose all experience and all items

Offline Geomaticus

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:11:52 PM »
I do not agree with this suggestion. If people gained experience from losses, then less successful players would still be increasing in levels and tiers, when they haven't earned it. You should level-up with successful attacks, not strategic retreats.
If you choose to attack enemies that you cannot beat (for whatever reason), then you don't deserve the experience points.
Search the forum - read the FAQ's and News - Don't multi-post

Offline Tacheron

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 01:15:14 PM »
I see some point in your arguments. However, I feel that if I bested more than half of the combatants on the battlefield and someone struck me on the head from behind, I still might have learned something - how to defeat enemies straightforward and also to pay attention to my back :P

And as for this being exploited by going after tougher enemies - I don't think this would be possible, since in these kind of battles you are unlikely going to kill even one of the combatants before they strike you down. My suggestion was related to battles which are well inside a character's level capabilities.

And I was thinking of something along the line of counting a TOTAL victory as a bonus, like another monster kill, in terms of calculating the experience gained. So, if you're fighting 5 monsters and you kill them all, then you get experience like you killed 6 of them. If you kill 4, you get experience just for those. To balance it out with the current system, it would probably be best to reduce the overall experience gain just by a bit, to justify this "victory bonus".

I am satisfied with the system for the most part, but I really feel an improvement similar to this one would benefit the gaming experience and the plausibility of the story.

then maybe we should gain only part crafting points when you craft common item and you have over 300 CP?

What I suggested is nothing like this because in the case you mention, you are such an expert that you can't learn anything from that. However, I believe that in combat you can ALWAYS learn from failure...

Offline andy_eu

• Tier 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 02:29:24 PM »

I believe that in combat you can ALWAYS learn from failure...

Yes, you learn, you learn how not to lose a battle, but this is more like real gamer experience :D