Author Topic: Stars for killing monsters  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Geomaticus

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stars for killing monsters
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:18:24 PM »
In the stats, you are given a Star for killing 100 wolves (or whatever).

"Same goes for the monsters - each star means 100 enemies of the same type slain, which automatically grants you 2% damage bonus when you fight this type of monsters."

If I have already killed 100 wolves, I obviously don't need a 2% damage bonus. Instead, this would be more beneficial if it increased the item drop chances against that creature. Think about it, if I am better at killing wolves, then I might be able to kill them in such a way as to not damage their hide (item drop) or I could slay a robber without damaging his armour or weapon (item drop).

I think increasing the item drop % against the creature is more beneficial, since I have already shown that I can kill that creature without the benefit of an additional 2% damage. It also gives incentive to get more stars against that creature (what's the benefit if it only makes the fight easier but not necessarily more fruitful?).
Search the forum - read the FAQ's and News - Don't multi-post

Offline radooo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stars for killing monsters
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »
if you killed 100 wolves then you know better how to fight with them so you get some bonus damage

Offline Geomaticus

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:41:10 PM »
And....? I know this already. That's what I said in my first post.  ???

What I am suggesting (in the suggestions section) is that the bonus given with each star not be for damage, but for item drop. If someone has already earned 1,2 or 3 stars against a particular creature, then they obviously don't need the damage assistance, but increasing the item drop chance would be beneficial to anyone. It would also give an incentive to earning the stars.

Offline isolde

• Tier 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:15:00 AM »
And....? I know this already. That's what I said in my first post.  ???

What I am suggesting (in the suggestions section) is that the bonus given with each star not be for damage, but for item drop. If someone has already earned 1,2 or 3 stars against a particular creature, then they obviously don't need the damage assistance, but increasing the item drop chance would be beneficial to anyone. It would also give an incentive to earning the stars.

Ha ha, are you serious with this suggestion ? You think anyone would prefer to get more item drop from wolves (which is hides in 99% of cases) instead of the additional damage ?!?! Sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. Because you have earned 4 stars against a particular creature doesnt mean you are better at fighting it, I dont know where you got that part from...

Offline Geomaticus

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:33:05 AM »
I'm absolutely serious. I think 2% damage increase is a pretty weak bonus (my weapon has damage of 50, so I get an extra 1 point per hit? big deal)

Item drop, regardless of what the enemy is, is more profitable. What's the incentive to getting the next star? Defeating the same creature slightly easier isn't much incentive in my opinion. Having a better chance at getting an item that I need or can sell for profit is much more appealing.

Offline isolde

• Tier 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:49:50 AM »
I'm absolutely serious. I think 2% damage increase is a pretty weak bonus (my weapon has damage of 50, so I get an extra 1 point per hit? big deal)

Item drop, regardless of what the enemy is, is more profitable. What's the incentive to getting the next star? Defeating the same creature slightly easier isn't much incentive in my opinion. Having a better chance at getting an item that I need or can sell for profit is much more appealing.

Well, this about this then :) If you are a warrior with a hammer in tier 4 - you can do damage up to 500 (and I mean after a decent bonus from strength and weapon mastery of course). IF you fight a particular monster you can get 8% additional damage against it - that is like 40 damage over ! Do you want to tell me that you prefer a 8% chance to get some crappy item ?

You dont even realize that that is one of the few things in game that actually increase the damage you incur - item drop you can easily increase - even a single bonus from 1 ring in tier 3 has + 12 item drop. But NOTHING has such a huge bonus to damage as 8% - that is so much better than getting something (especially if you consider like I said that you ll never get anything but hides (and occasional amulet) from animals). That technically makes it for you not worth it to fight any animal, right ? So what - you ll get all your stars in humanoids only ?

Offline Geomaticus

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 05:11:41 AM »
Isolde, you seem to have forgotten what it's like to be tier 1 or 2. Two percent damage increase at this level is meaningless, but an item of any type is highly beneficial.
This aspect of the game shouldn't necessarily be geared only to higher levels, should it? When I fight a creature, I might get 30 gold, but if he drops a hide (if it was an animal), then that hide can be sold for 100 gold. That makes the fight worthwhile. This is a tier 1 or 2 example of course.

So at lower levels, the benefit may be more towards item drop, and higher levels might want damage increase.
Perhaps we should have the choice?

Offline Baldric

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »
It is perfectly logical to get a bonus to damage against that creature because you fought it many times and already know it`s tactics and weak spots. But nothing guarantees that they are carrying items which you can get when you kill them so your request doesn`t make much sense to me... But hey it`s only me and one man can change the world. ;)

Offline radooo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
It is perfectly logical to get a bonus to damage against that creature because you fought it many times and already know it`s tactics and weak spots. But nothing guarantees that they are carrying items which you can get when you kill them so your request doesn`t make much sense to me... But hey it`s only me and one man can change the world. ;)

same as what I said :)

Offline Tarantio

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »
I only just started playing today so fall into that 'noobi' status refferred to, I can see the logic to both sides, the original point was that for killing an animal (whatever kind) you gain the starts to show your adept at killing that type because youve obviously killed so many before to get the starts and hence gain the 2% bonus. It makes absolute sence that because you are so adept at killing that type of animal you would know its weak spot and hence deliver a killing blow that would enable you to kill the creature without damaging the hide allowing you to skin it and recover it (as in item drop) there are plus points to both sides but in the main the original point makes absolute sence to me :-)

Offline isolde

• Tier 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
Isolde, you seem to have forgotten what it's like to be tier 1 or 2. Two percent damage increase at this level is meaningless, but an item of any type is highly beneficial.
This aspect of the game shouldn't necessarily be geared only to higher levels, should it? When I fight a creature, I might get 30 gold, but if he drops a hide (if it was an animal), then that hide can be sold for 100 gold. That makes the fight worthwhile. This is a tier 1 or 2 example of course.

So at lower levels, the benefit may be more towards item drop, and higher levels might want damage increase.
Perhaps we should have the choice?

Trust me, since I have played about 20 different accounts until now, I still play tier 1, 2 and 3 and i can tell you I do perfectly fine without all the great items that monsters in tier 1 drop :) Anyway you spend in tier 1 between 3 days and a 1 week depending on how you play - you seriously think that 2% item drop chance will increase much ?
And in tier 2, I would still prefer the damage bonus - I have a ring which has 4 vitality and +8 item drop bonus and its much better to get sucha  bonus from there, then from kill 400 monsters from 1 type.

Sheremetev

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 05:54:28 PM »
If we go completely logically, imagine you kill 400 marauders (some of the most favourite item-droppers). In doing so, you will notice that delivering hits at the joints hurts them more, slows them and makes them an easy pray. THIS is why your damage increases. However, killing even 4000 marauders might mean you will learn where they hide their valuable items, but imagine you kill a poor marauder who has nothing worth stealing. Then, even if you are the best pickpocketer, you can't find something that isn't hidden for the fact it never existed at the first place!

From the practical side. 8% more damage are nothing in tier 1 and 2 apparently for you. Now imagine fighting a mob in tier 2 (a regular mob of two or three opponents, the ones with five or six in tier 4 are not interesting). So, you have extra 8% against everyone, which is between extra 16% and 24% in total. So which would you prefer- finishing the battle about 75% times faster (thus sustaining 24% less dmg) or having extra 8% chance to find something.
1st case: extra luck: 4 battles, 32% extra
2nd case: extra dmg: 5 battles
And, since in tier 3 stages I find something in almost every battle, I think the chances of finding smth in the big zones are more than 33%... if you survive, that is. And these extra 8% dmg against any opponent might be the difference between death and victory sometimes.