Author Topic: More battle mechanics (and not only) questions.  (Read 2014 times)

Offline DMDM

• Tier 3
  • Problem ?
    • View Profile
More battle mechanics (and not only) questions.
« on: April 10, 2010, 02:05:39 PM »
Yes my mind never stops wondering. I am what you can call a theorycrafter.

1. Which attribute decrease the opponent's chance to crit ? I know it must be one, and I suspect is agility but I don't know for sure if that's the case and if so what exactly is the mechanics/percentage behind it. Can't say I could see pull out formula from my battle reports. Before someone asks, no I wasn't battling dark mages that have an ability (Losing Focus) that is supposed to do just that. I am talking plain, normal, with no visible, cast-able abilities/spells.

2. "Marauder - Archer doesn't have an opponent, therefore he chooses "Player". Level difference modifier is 1.3 ." 
 How does the level difference modifier actually work ? What does it mean ? Is it about experience gain ? Or does the mob gets buffed so you basically are penalized for trying to out-gear the content ? As a note, question 1. is about situations where both opponents have the same level.

3. Blocking. Let me see if I got it right: the mob tries to hit you and you have a chance of blocking it, that is [( sum of items block)*1.masteries-(opponent's strength/10)]/100. OK. Now. I got some really weird numbers. I mean half of what I would expect to block. Actually this more of a reassurance than a question. The blocking does apply only to successful hits right ? I mean the order is Mob inittates the attack -> roll to see if the hit is evaded -> roll to see if the successful hit is blocked. Or does the block percentage applies to all hits, the ones evaded included ? I'd throw the same question with crit% aswell. Does crit% imply crit% from all successful hits or from all hits, evaded and blocked hits included ? I know I can't really make an idea from a single or two fights, I know how random numbers work but I can't simulate it given the otherwise limited length of a fight so I'm asking you.

4. Now to a more frustrating question. How does  items drop chance and quality work ? Is there an item budget per mob and/or class of mobs ? I read and understood that the value is proportional to the difference of level. In the sense that (your level < mob level) will grant you more value and as you go (your level >>>>> mob's level) you will get the hole from the doughnut. Makes perfect sense. If it wouldn't be like this people would farm multi-dungeons and we would all wear yellow at least. All good. But... I, being level 23, have done "Pirate's Den". The end, legendary, boss is level 24. Legendary. I had (together with the 3 mercenaries) 106% (capped at 100%) item drop chance. And I got a pair of ugly boots, an amulet and a stick all plain white quality. Am I that unlucky ? Did I missed something ? Does the mercenaries level have a saying in this ? Was I supposed to solo my way through to get the greens ? I'd like to be enlightened.

That'd be all for today, thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:58:37 PM by DMDM »
"I'm gonna go build my own game, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the game! "

Offline DMDM

• Tier 3
  • Problem ?
    • View Profile
Re: More battle mechanics (and not only) questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »
Bump. Nobody have any knowledge of the mechanics ? I mean, really, I valued crit% above any other stat for obvious reasons but now I get it downgraded from 47% static to 18.5%. That's a lot of crit . The mob in question has 192 agi so if it would be directly proportional that's 6.73 agi per 1% crit devalue. So how does it work ? Do amazons have some hidden secret ability ?  Even educated guesses would do.

Edited with the relevant part of the combat log.

Team   Team
Name DMDM
Level 33
Class: Ranger
Damage 77.01 - 318.42
Range: 3
Critical Hit Chance: 47%
Block Chance: 36%
Total Armor: 2099
Items' Agility Modifier: 0%
Items' Dextirity Modifier: 0%

Name Wild amazon - Archer
Level 32
Class: None
Damage 44.9152 - 336.864
Range: 4
Critical Hit Chance: 19%
Block Chance: 0%
Total Armor: 968
Items' Agility Modifier: 0%
Items' Dextirity Modifier: 0%

This part is vs a normal mob. (128 agi)

Team 1 takes turn
DMDM tries to use the skill Retaliate that adds 12% to his Critical Hit Chance.
DMDM tries to use the skill Ambush    that adds 8% to his Critical Hit Chance.
DMDM successfully uses the skill Ambush   .
DMDM successfully uses the skill Retaliate.
DMDM hits Wild amazon for 935.63186666667 and the latter is left with -179.63 health.
Monster kills bonus adds 2% to damage.
A critical hit is performed! 16/49!

18% reduction

This part is vs the rare mob.(180 agi)

Team 1 takes turn
DMDM doesn't have an opponent, therefore he chooses Wild amazon - Archer. Level difference modifier is 1 .
Wild amazon - Archer's block percentage is 0.
Critical Hit Chance: 18.5
DMDM tries to use the skill Retaliate that adds 12% to his Critical Hit Chance.
DMDM tries to use the skill Ambush    that adds 8% to his Critical Hit Chance.
DMDM successfully uses the skill Ambush   .
DMDM successfully uses the skill Retaliate.
DMDM hits Wild amazon - Archer for 890.72666666667 and the latter is left with 621.27 health.
Monster kills bonus adds 0% to damage.
A critical hit is performed! 24/38.5!

28.5% reduction

P.S.

The text includes some misspells

Dextirity instead of Dexterity and Redused instead of Reduced (where referring to reducing damage e.g. "Damage redused from 32.2828 with 11")
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:00:24 PM by DMDM »
"I'm gonna go build my own game, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the game! "

Judith

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »
When we apply the official game guide you will have all the info you need. Till then, you can use the Search field, most of these questions have been asked/answered long time ago. Thank you.

Offline DMDM

• Tier 3
  • Problem ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:38:58 PM »
This is the reposted original post with the answers I found using search. 1 clear answer out of 4 questions, one of the questions (specifically question number 1) I really find game-breaking as far as I am concerned given the costs involved. Or if you want pocket breaking.

1. Which attribute decrease the opponent's chance to crit ? I know it must be one, and I suspect is agility but I don't know for sure if that's the case and if so what exactly is the mechanics/percentage behind it. Can't say I could see pull out formula from my battle reports. Before someone asks, no I wasn't battling dark mages that have an ability (Losing Focus) that is supposed to do just that. I am talking plain, normal, with no visible, cast-able abilities/spells.

A. OK. Agility has something to do with it. Found something here.http://forum.imperialhero.org/int/index.php?topic=2523.0. Still, we have a problem. Oton says 10 agi will decrease 1% crit. Fine by me, that's game's mechanics I'm not going to argue with it. The problem is in the log I attached is not 10. Is not even the same number. The rare amazon will decrease my crit for every 6.736842 Agi it has and the others for 7.11111. Which one is the right one ? 10 ? 6.7 ? 7.1 ? A random number between 1 and 10 ? I'd still like a clear answer and let me tell you why. For one thing a clear answer would provide me a clear strategy on how to use my skill points. If crit% is diminished by 1% for every 10 agi of the opponent then OK I will still consider crit valuable and put points in "Critical hit", "Ambush" and "Retaliate". IF crit% is diminished by 1% for every 5 agi of the opponent then I won't consider crit as valuable and use my points in "Shield Block", "Poison", start using bows, you get the idea, change tactics. Where is the real issue ? Well, every re-skilling costs 25 diamonds. Those diamonds I buy with real money and to be honest I don't really feel like throwing those (my hard earned money) down the drain. More reasons ? Buying weapons. A tier 4 weapon goes for 100-500k on the market. If crit is bad (in the sense I just explained above) I'd go for high damage weapons instead. Even more reasons ? Well I play on realm 3 and I am supposed to compete in every way (PvP, market and whatever you can think of) with a few select people that know the game inside out. Yes, I am talking about Deathstyle guild.  Take a look at this thread. http://forum.imperialhero.org/int/index.php?topic=7504.msg30463#msg30463 . A mod answered initially to question 2 that is impossible. In the end wasn't that impossible after all. Who's profile I was looking at and did that, leading to the question ? Robusta's. I'm not saying he's cheating but for damn sure he knows more about the game than me or even the mod. You think that's anywhere near fair?

2. "Marauder - Archer doesn't have an opponent, therefore he chooses "Player". Level difference modifier is 1.3 ." 
 How does the level difference modifier actually work ? What does it mean ? Is it about experience gain ? Or does the mob gets buffed so you basically are penalized for trying to out-gear the content ? As a note, question 1. is about situations where both opponents have the same level.

A. Answered here. http://forum.imperialhero.org/int/index.php?topic=1472.0 , I shouldn't have been lazy, my bad.

3. Blocking. Let me see if I got it right: the mob tries to hit you and you have a chance of blocking it, that is [( sum of items block)*1.masteries-(opponent's strength/10)]/100. OK. Now. I got some really weird numbers. I mean half of what I would expect to block. Actually this more of a reassurance than a question. The blocking does apply only to successful hits right ? I mean the order is Mob inittates the attack -> roll to see if the hit is evaded -> roll to see if the successful hit is blocked. Or does the block percentage applies to all hits, the ones evaded included ? I'd throw the same question with crit% aswell. Does crit% imply crit% from all successful hits or from all hits, evaded and blocked hits included ? I know I can't really make an idea from a single or two fights, I know how random numbers work but I can't simulate it given the otherwise limited length of a fight so I'm asking you.

A. Couldn't find any clear answers to anything included in the question.

4. Now to a more frustrating question. How does  items drop chance and quality work ? Is there an item budget per mob and/or class of mobs ? I read and understood that the value is proportional to the difference of level. In the sense that (your level < mob level) will grant you more value and as you go (your level >>>>> mob's level) you will get the hole from the doughnut. Makes perfect sense. If it wouldn't be like this people would farm multi-dungeons and we would all wear yellow at least. All good. But... I, being level 23, have done "Pirate's Den". The end, legendary, boss is level 24. Legendary. I had (together with the 3 mercenaries) 106% (capped at 100%) item drop chance. And I got a pair of ugly boots, an amulet and a stick all plain white quality. Am I that unlucky ? Did I missed something ? Does the mercenaries level have a saying in this ? Was I supposed to solo my way through to get the greens ? I'd like to be enlightened.

A. Again no clear answers. Or maybe I wasn't dead on clear. Does the game takes into consideration the level of the highest level merc when calculating item drop chance/value ? If that's the case then I'm really looking forward to a plethora of white items all over Tier 4. Awesome.

That being said I'd still like a clear answer at least to question number 1. How much agility does decrease 1% of opponent's critical chance. Quote me the thread where the answer if that's not too much too ask. Maybe is there and I didn't found it.

Oton

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:32:37 AM »
Sir.
Just try different variations and create your own formulae if that will make you happier.
As we told you several times, all the calculations and mechanics will be present in the game's official manual.
And... even then, when you know all the mechanics and the formulae, you will still not be able to create the perfect hero.
Trust me.

Just... play the game and if you don't like it the way it is at the moment... well, we can't do much to make you think otherwise.
One thing is for sure though - we will surely not tell you how to play.
Because... how fun will it be if you know everything up front?

Have a nice time playing the game, sir.

Best Regards:
IH Team

The topic will be closed.