Author Topic: strategy question  (Read 7357 times)

Offline LordKhyron

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
strategy question
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:45:53 PM »
looking for opinions on what everyont think is better.  Two handed weapon and more damage or single handed weapon and shield.  I haven't really noticed much of a difference either way in how much damage I take and how easily I win fights.  Curious as to what everyone else is seeing.

Offline Gambit

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
Re: strategy question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 01:35:51 AM »
It really depends on how you are doing in the fights and what you are fighting.  I am unsure of your level also.  As the game progresses and opponents have more armor you will see your damage go down.  If they also have a reasonable block you may need to go to a high damage weapon so that the reduction is not as steep.  You want hits that you do get to really hurt them. If you are fighting folks in lower armor a one-handed weapon is fine. 

If you are not dying it becomes a matter of economics.  Look at the average healing you need to do each way - and choose the weapon that keeps you from having to do too much healing.  You may need to switch weapons out. 

As I myself am a ranger (I assume you are a warrior) I can't give you the best advice.  Hopefully another warrior can weigh in and provide some info.  You might also want to message a few of the higher level warriors in the game to see what they are using.  As a ranger I looked at what the more successful members in my class were doing, weighed the pros and cons, and emulated them where I thought it was appropriate.

Offline isolde

• Tier 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 12:04:02 PM »
looking for opinions on what everyont think is better.  Two handed weapon and more damage or single handed weapon and shield.  I haven't really noticed much of a difference either way in how much damage I take and how easily I win fights.  Curious as to what everyone else is seeing.

I play a guardian ( a warrior with 1 handed sword and shield). It is a bit harder to progress to level 20 this way, especially towards the end but this is just as good of a strategy as having a 2 handed weapon (I even like it more). You must only be careful into what you distribute your attribute points - it depends with which weapon you fight and your specialization what attributes you will need the most. Remember, the difference in weapons is not only the damage and block, but also how often you hit and how many critical hits you do and with 1 handed sword you have much bigger chance than with a hammer :)

Offline zephyr

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »
It really depends on how you are doing in the fights and what you are fighting.  I am unsure of your level also.  As the game progresses and opponents have more armor you will see your damage go down.  If they also have a reasonable block you may need to go to a high damage weapon so that the reduction is not as steep.  You want hits that you do get to really hurt them. If you are fighting folks in lower armor a one-handed weapon is fine. 

If you are not dying it becomes a matter of economics.  Look at the average healing you need to do each way - and choose the weapon that keeps you from having to do too much healing.  You may need to switch weapons out. 

As I myself am a ranger (I assume you are a warrior) I can't give you the best advice.  Hopefully another warrior can weigh in and provide some info.  You might also want to message a few of the higher level warriors in the game to see what they are using.  As a ranger I looked at what the more successful members in my class were doing, weighed the pros and cons, and emulated them where I thought it was appropriate.
i'm a ranger, so i would like you to give me some advice if you want to.......as you know i new to this game!

Offline Gambit

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »
Zephyr,

My advice would be to put the majority of your points into Agility and Dexterity.  As a ranger those two stats provide a bonus.  Agility is compared to your opponents dexterity.  If you have more than he has dex you will evade more often and not get hit.  There does appear to be at least a 25% chance to get hit no matter how well you evade however.

Your dexterity does 2 things.  The higher it is compared to your opponents dex - the more often you hit you target and they are unable to evade your strike. Also, for every 10 points of dex you get a 1% better chance to critical.

Str. and Int. can be left alone for quite a while and you will do fine.  You will need to gradually raise vitality to increase your hit points.

As a ranger I believe your best weapon is the javelin as long as you can finish fights quickly.  After 20 combat rounds they have their damaged halved for the remainder of the fight.

My character name is Gambit and you can look at my build and equipment if you go to statistics.  I am on the first page.

I have only been playing for about 3 weeks and I sure there is more that others can tell you who have been around longer.  There may be excellent arguments for other weapons and point distributions.

Gambit

Offline zephyr

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:12:01 AM »
Zephyr,

My advice would be to put the majority of your points into Agility and Dexterity.  As a ranger those two stats provide a bonus.  Agility is compared to your opponents dexterity.  If you have more than he has dex you will evade more often and not get hit.  There does appear to be at least a 25% chance to get hit no matter how well you evade however.

Your dexterity does 2 things.  The higher it is compared to your opponents dex - the more often you hit you target and they are unable to evade your strike. Also, for every 10 points of dex you get a 1% better chance to critical.

Str. and Int. can be left alone for quite a while and you will do fine.  You will need to gradually raise vitality to increase your hit points.

As a ranger I believe your best weapon is the javelin as long as you can finish fights quickly.  After 20 combat rounds they have their damaged halved for the remainder of the fight.

My character name is Gambit and you can look at my build and equipment if you go to statistics.  I am on the first page.

I have only been playing for about 3 weeks and I sure there is more that others can tell you who have been around longer.  There may be excellent arguments for other weapons and point distributions.

Gambit

how about basic skills? which one i need to level up?

Offline Gambit

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 05:19:27 AM »
I would recommend critical hit and herbal knowledge as the 2 most important skills.

Offline isolde

• Tier 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »
I would recommend critical hit and herbal knowledge as the 2 most important skills.

Agreed  ;)

Offline Naylrod

• Lord Commander
  • Tier 1
  • IH Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 12:23:49 PM »
I play a guardian

dont tell gharn
There are no men like me. There is only me.

Offline k_mihai

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »
lol
Tank mystic 28
Proud member of Reacro
"Take what you can, give nothing back"

Offline an-dtà-raai

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 09:17:11 PM »
dont tell gharn

;D i just saw it  ;D

Offline gunther

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 06:51:21 PM »
Why herbal knowledge? Isn't it better to make good use of the spirits that never hit bottom with 1 lvl poison so that the spirit at least DOES something?

Offline isolde

• Tier 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 01:36:18 PM »
Why herbal knowledge? Isn't it better to make good use of the spirits that never hit bottom with 1 lvl poison so that the spirit at least DOES something?

It entirely depends on how you choose to play the game, how much time you have, etc. If you log in once a day and spend all AP, herbalism is completely useless for you. If you log in a few times, then it may be useful as you recover hit points between battles.

If you ask me personally, I would always choose poison over herbalism, especially if fighting with a bow/crossbow. Its a quite powerful skill if you invest some points in it.