Author Topic: General Game Play  (Read 3038 times)

Offline moonglum67

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
General Game Play
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:54:29 AM »
I have played many online RPGs including DDO and DragonFable and all of them have flaws which make them unrealistic for those who have actually played paper games and basically unenjoyable, but this one really takes the cake as the worst of them all for the following reasons:

1) Equipment binding - completely unrealistic that you cannot transfer shields, swords, belts, armor, etc. to another character as that has been done forever in both real life and games for decades.  Thus you are forced to continually waste money getting equipment for mercenaries rather than upgrading your own.

2) Excessive computer cheating in fights to prevent completion of quests:  Particularly the lion fights in Carnivalia, but also the Red Hand quests as well.  It's not logical or possible that a single character can handily beat 3-4 LV 13 or higher creatures and then lose to 3 LV 10 or so creatures in the next round even with a mercenary and both having over 400 hit points.  It's happened with 2 different characters and more than once, so obviously it's not a fluke.

3)  Experience and money lag after a certain point - as with all RPGs online thus far, after the first so many levels (this game peaked at about 11-12, which is higher than DDO at about 7-8) the reward and experience from fights is far less than adequate or even realistic by a paper RPG standard and thus the character is forced to repeatedly beat easy opponents in a vain attempt at reaching another level so they can try to do the current impossible quests for their level.

4) Equipment level requirements - I understand the logic behind trying to keep the 1st level Warrior form having a +5 Flaming Vorpal Blade, but the leveling in this game is ludicrous.  I am currently 14th level and the best weapon I can get for either character does a paltry 24 or 29 points of damage (way too low for Carnivalia or Red Hand), yet I can't use the weapons that do 40-60 points of damage until Level 16 or higher (usually 18):  there are no middle tiered weapons at 30-50 points of damage.

5)  Time delay to travel without "Premium" membership- this one really takes the cake, I can live with not being able to buy the "best" equipment, but to have to wait 10 minutes for no other reason than I'm not a premium user is completely ludicrous.  And if you are fortunate enough to be in Farolin that 5-10 minutes to town gives people plenty of chance to attack you while you are trying to make it to town with your loot.  I and my mercenary (who wasn't even used in a fight) have been DOA many times so then I have a huge repair bill that consumes my meager earnings and I'm back to square one.  I have two characters and we're done because this is completely unsatisfactory.   

Offline Tiger

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
Re: General Game Play
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »
This is not paper RPG.
1. Equipment binding exist because one of the focusses of this game is crafting - making items... If there wer eno binding, then it would be enough to make few good items and 100 heroes could use them one after another or even use 1 complete to fight with 10 people.
2. If you read how to play, you would see that there are different strength of monsters, measured not only in lvls... so you basicly have rare liion lvl 10 which is stronger then those lvl 13 or 14. Because they are rare.
3. To get good xp all the time, you need to develop character good, equip him good and fight at locations with highest xp you can defeat. I never had a problem with fights, never used mercs on lowr tiers.
4. The game is also based on crafting and items people craft are much better then ones you can buy in shops - use auction to get better equipent rather cheap.  And equipment is divided to 2 subtiers for reason. So till lvl 15 you can use equipment lvl 10-14, then you can use equipment to lvl 19... and so on.
5. Premium futures gives advantage to players, mostly they need to spend less time online. They have traveling time cut to half or even instant if they activate Traveling guild. Game developers develop game, pay servers... with that money. All game have same or similar service from which they finance themselves.

Offline moonglum67

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
Re: General Game Play
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »
This is not paper RPG.

I know that, but it could be more comparable since the paper RPG's are what gave this and all the other online RPG's the impetus.

1. Equipment binding exist because one of the focusses of this game is crafting - making items... If there wer eno binding, then it would be enough to make few good items and 100 heroes could use them one after another or even use 1 complete to fight with 10 people.

I still don't see where multiple heroes using an item is a problem at all as it happens in all RPGs online or paper and even movies/books of the fantasy genre--otherwise Frodo could never have defeated Sauron or used the Ring.  As for the crafting I didn't comment on that as I thought it was so pathetic as not being worthy of commenting.  By the time you can craft anything worthwhile, you are too high of level to be interested in using it--currently at 14th level I can craft 29 Copper Scale Mail.  I'd be dead if I depended on that for a fight and it's worth a whopping 30 GP if I sell it.  Worthless.

2. If you read how to play, you would see that there are different strength of monsters, measured not only in lvls... so you basicly have rare liion lvl 10 which is stronger then those lvl 13 or 14. Because they are rare.

I didn't know about rare creatures, thanks for that info.

3. To get good xp all the time, you need to develop character good, equip him good and fight at locations with highest xp you can defeat. I never had a problem with fights, never used mercs on lowr tiers.

I rarely use mercs because I don't want to share my money and experience, but there are fights where I need them, but some fights even the mercs don't help, but since it's a LV 10-14 fight and I'm LV 14 with a 15/16th LV merc, we should have no problem winning and yet get beaten handily--we can't even kill 1 of the 2 or 3 opponents.

4. The game is also based on crafting and items people craft are much better then ones you can buy in shops - use auction to get better equipent rather cheap.  And equipment is divided to 2 subtiers for reason. So till lvl 15 you can use equipment lvl 10-14, then you can use equipment to lvl 19... and so on.

The subtiers still make no sense as there are already tiers, so I just don't see the need.  However, the problem is that there is no mid-tier.  LV 10-14 weapons do a maximum of like 30 points of damage and the LV 15-19 weapons do a maximum of like 60+ points of damage, but there's no middle road weapons, which is what I need to beat the Carnivalia and Red Hand.

5. Premium futures gives advantage to players, mostly they need to spend less time online. They have traveling time cut to half or even instant if they activate Traveling guild. Game developers develop game, pay servers... with that money. All game have same or similar service from which they finance themselves.

The Preemies already get better equipment options and other bells and whistles, traveling time bonus is ridiculous.  It only makes me think that I'd never pay money for something so ridiculous as saving internet access time--I would for better equipment since that is what I need, but most equipment that needs diamonds to buy is not any better than that which I already have most times.