Author Topic: Monster Skills, Specified.  (Read 3516 times)

Offline gunther

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
Monster Skills, Specified.
« on: December 16, 2009, 05:01:28 PM »
From another topic, it shows a list of monster skills. It's nice, but what exactly do each of them do?

Swiftness:
It reduces axe damage by half as well. Axes are not exactly 'dull', are they?

Crushing blow:
This skill is inconsistent. It works on one of my rangers who uses a javellin but not others. It seems to work on a few of my warriors as well.
Exactly what triggers this skill? The presence of a shield?

Ambush and Critical hit:
They give critical hit chances, but how are they different?
Is it true that their difference is:
Critical hit is calculated when fight initiates. Can be lowered by agility.
Ambush cannot be lowered.

Many more I don't quite get.

Offline isolde

• Tier 5
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Skills, Specified.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 06:31:40 PM »
From another topic, it shows a list of monster skills. It's nice, but what exactly do each of them do?

Swiftness:
It reduces axe damage by half as well. Axes are not exactly 'dull', are they?

Crushing blow:
This skill is inconsistent. It works on one of my rangers who uses a javellin but not others. It seems to work on a few of my warriors as well.
Exactly what triggers this skill? The presence of a shield?

Ambush and Critical hit:
They give critical hit chances, but how are they different?
Is it true that their difference is:
Critical hit is calculated when fight initiates. Can be lowered by agility.
Ambush cannot be lowered.

Many more I don't quite get.

You know, you ask many questions that mortals like us cant quite answer :)

Here is an explanation by Oton of some of the monster skills :

Swiftness - Decreases all blunt weapons' effectiveness with 25% per skill level. Blunt weapons are: Maces, War Hammers and Staffs.
Fast - The beast closes in very fast. Similar to Stealth.
Stun - An attack which inflicts damage and has a chance to stun the opponent (opponent misses round)
Roar - Decreases the opponents' attributes with a %. Similar to the Fury Warrior's Battle Cry.
Fortified armor - Increased defense against arrows, decreased defense against melee weapons.
Giant - Decreases all close weapons' effectiveness with 25% per skill level. Close weapons are considered Daggers, Throwing knives, War Hammers, Swords, Axes and Staffs.
Dark Roar - Decreases opponents' skills. Similar to Darkness Curse.
Dread - The opponent misses a round. Similar to Petrify.

1. According to this explanation, swiftness should not decrease damage of axes. If it does, maybe you can show us a report and we can have an alteration of this skill's description.

Actually I just checked it, swiftness definitely doesnt decrease staff damage by 25% :). So its completely possible that the weapons against which its active are different.

2. I will assumer that crushing blow in monsters works the same way as it does for fury warriors (they have that skill). This is the description :

Very powerful strike, which adds points to the weapon's maximum damage, but decreases the chance for successful hit with 50%. Suitable for enemies with less Agility.

Now, from what I see in the battle reports, savages who have that skill are trying to use it every round but succeeding only sometimes. To me, this means that every time they try to use it, the chance to hit is lowered by 50%. So naturally they hit only sometimes, but stronger.

Now, I have tried fighting the same savages with a ranger and a warrior, one with 200 agility and the other with 20. The savages didnt use the skill even once against the ranger, which leads me to think that there is some agility threshold over which they simply dont use it, because its quite clear that they have a very low chance to hit him anyway. On the warrior they used the skill every time, so I think if you have little agility, there is a higher chance they will use the skill.

What exactly agility value they consider "low", I dont know.

Ambush and critical hit are completely different skills. I dont know about monsters, but since these skills are supposed to be the same as in heroes, the difference here is quite big.

1. Critical hit is based on how much dexterity you have (and your skills if you are a ranger or mystic). It is a constant number - for monsters and heroes. In the beginning of the fight, it can be lowered depending on the enemy's agility.

2. Ambush (at least in rangers) is a spirit skill. Each round you try to perform it, if you successfully ambush the enemy, it takes a certain amount of spirit dependant on the skill's level. Ambush increases the CHANCE to perform successfully a critical hit.

Meaning, your critical hit chance is 12 %. You have ambush level 1 - it adds 2%. If you perform a critical hit with 14% during a battle, it takes spirit. Obviously, agility can not lower this additional chance, so you are right about that.

Now, many skills are not obvious, but we can make some tests and educated guesses to get a better idea ;)