Author Topic: Basic skills for each class  (Read 20208 times)

Offline isolde

• Tier 5
    • View Profile
Basic skills for each class
« on: April 24, 2009, 11:10:59 AM »
I am curious what exactly are the basic skills for each class ? First of all, I am quite unsure of what some of the skills for my own class do and second, if I want to play lets say ranger next time, I have no idea what they are capable of:

Warrior basic skills:
Attack - Increase attack and decrease defense
Defence - Increase defense and decrease attack
Charge - Strong first attack
Mercenary captain - Allows to recruit more mercenaries

Well, the last two are pretty much self explanatory, with charge you put up to 5 points, which gives you 60% stronger first attack.  I find this skill least usefull in the long run because it also takes up to 30 points of spirit and my spirit is very limited and the damage inflicted in the first turn is not so significant in the course of battle

Attack and defense interplay are still a mystery to me :( Each point to this skill increases the % bonus (2, 4, 8, 12, 20). I assume if I check attack stance before going to battle and I have level 5, this increases the damage I inflict in each successful hit by 20 % - i.e if I hit for 20 normally, I will hit for 24 now.

But what does that have to do with decreased defence - I mean does the description mean that you just cant increase both at the same time, or the use of increased attack has actually any effect on your defence - meaning if I hit 20% harder, am I also 10% more vulnarable to enemy attacks ?

And of course, I am unhappy with the fact I cant use both at the same time :( I mean, I understand that they are kind of opposite things, but I dont know if other classes also have such mutually exclusive skills - where its only or the other, because otherwise I dont think its fair to warriors.

And last but not least, will we have more skills to develop and choose from ( I bet, we will) because I have found out some people save their points to invest in them later (smart decision if those skills are better !)

So, I think it will be great if some ranger and mystic also can share their skills, it would help me a lot in understanding how other characters work which is important not only if you are to later fight in a team but  even if you are trying to hire a merc for example... I had no idea what skills mystics have and I hired one with inner concentration expecting it to heal me  ;D (This is not worse than colonizing in a row, right  :-[)

Oton

Re: Basic skills for each class
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »
I will write the heroes' skills and specializations in a bit, Isolde.
I can't keep up with you requests...
Please, go away.
:)

Offline Starbuck

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »
Ranger basic skills :

Poison -  gives a chance to poison an enemy for a fixed amount of damage each round (costs spirit, lvl 1 = 2%, lvl 5 = 20%).
Herbalism - increase your hourly health regeneration rate (no spirit needed).
Critical Hit - increase the chance to inflict a critical hit (no spirit needed, lvl 1 = 2%, lvl 5 = 20%). Can be used in addition to Dexterity, but max probability is 50%.
Merc Captain - Allows you to recruit more mercenaries.

Critical Hit Damages are based on the weapon and should be randomized. However the Poison damages are fixed and I don't know if they are relative to your level (Hero or Skill) or to your weapon ;)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:10:21 PM by Starbuck »
"I'll keel you !!" ... one more fan to add to my list :D   

Offline isolde

• Tier 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:45:17 PM »
Ranger basic skills :

Poison -  gives a chance to poison an enemy for 0.5 dmg each round (costs spirit, lvl 1 = 2%, lvl 5 = 20%).
Herbalism - increase your hourly health regeneration rate (no spirit needed).
Critical Hit - increase the chance to inflict a critical hit (no spirit needed, lvl 1 = 2%, lvl 5 = 20%). Can be used in addition to Dexterity, but max probability is 50%.
Merc Captain - Allows you to recruit more mercenaries.

Oton chased me away, can I at least ask you Starbuck  :'(

I am going to guess herbalism is a strictly non-battle skill and has to do only with how fast you recover your health...but can you use poison and critical at the same time in battle (basicly in the same turn you have a chance both to poison AND to inflict a critical hit on the enemy). You dont need to choose which skill to use in battle, they automatically apply if you have put points to them, right ?

Offline Starbuck

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:57:01 PM »
Oton chased me away, can I at least ask you Starbuck  :'(

I am going to guess herbalism is a strictly non-battle skill and has to do only with how fast you recover your health...but can you use poison and critical at the same time in battle (basicly in the same turn you have a chance both to poison AND to inflict a critical hit on the enemy). You dont need to choose which skill to use in battle, they automatically apply if you have put points to them, right ?

herbalism is indeed non-combat, while both poison and critical hit can be used simultaneously in combat. and yes, they are automatically used.
however, you can poison an opponent only once (but can poison them all if fighting against a group) : ofc, the higher the %, the sooner you can poison, the greater its effect :)
critical hits can be used for every attacks during the fight. And with DEX + any special items can reach 30% fairly easily by lvl 15.

snipin'Starfox in da house  :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:58:45 PM by Starbuck »

Offline Starbuck

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »
I've just realized that lvl 5 for Critical Hits have been reduced to 16%, down from 20% .... was those 4% really unbalancing the Skill ? especially as damages are not done randomly (as they are supposed to be), but with a fixed average (thus limiting the efficacy of ranged weapons (Rangers weapons of choice :)) ...

Offline radamant

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »
I've just realized that lvl 5 for Critical Hits have been reduced to 16%, down from 20% .... was those 4% really unbalancing the Skill ?
Let the skill balancing and nerfing saga begin :D

Offline radooo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 03:41:33 PM »
they reduced the skills for warriors too (attack stance level 5 was reduced from 20% to 16%) :P

chegewara

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 03:43:07 PM »
they reduced the skills for warriors too (attack stance level 5 was reduced from 20% to 16%) :P
yes, but is now 6 levels instead 5 8)

Offline Starbuck

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »
I'm not sure the explanations is clear :

Eagle eye
Increases weapon's range. If the weapon's range is already at its maximum range, allows for two shots in the first round.

Points   1   2   3
Bonus   + 1   + 2   + 3

what is the bonus for ?
let's say I got Hunter's Bow range 3, which means 3 attacks before the first round.
with the Eagle Eye skill lvl 1, does it mean I've got 1 extra shots (as per Bonus description) or 2 5as per Skill description) ?

Offline Starbuck

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 06:25:42 PM »
To be honest, I find this skill rather useless :

Pathfinder
Faster movement on the map.

Points   1   2   3   4   5   6   7
Bonus   10 %   15 %   20 %   30 %   40 %   50 %   60 %

I wouldn't be surprized if it's the very last one being taken by all players when they got Skill points left and nothing where to put it into ....

Offline Starbuck

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
Volley
Each level allows one more enemy to be shot in the same round, with 800f the weapon's attack.

Points   1   2   3   4   5
Bonus   + 1   + 2   + 3   + 4   + 5
Spirit cost   20   30   40   50   60

do you mean 800% (8x the normal damage) ? are Critical Hits maxed out or can they can be used on top of those Volley shots (creating a deadly combo) ?

Offline Starbuck

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 06:33:53 PM »
The skills Piercing Shot, Volley, Burning Arrow and Headshot are very much Spirit-consuming ... which is not one of the big strength of the Ranger Class ;)
Will there be the possibility to choose whether or not to activate those skills before the fight or will they be automatically used like Poison ?

I would strongly advise for an option to choose (Poison included) for players to enjoy the game or else, they'll completely run out of Spirit after just 1 or 2 fights (if multiple enemies are included).
Add to this the repair, healing and upkeep costs of Mercs .... and it will be really hard to use those skills regularly by buying Spirit potions only (unless we find a way to generate a LOT more gold ;))

Have fun,

Offline radooo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 06:43:16 PM »
Volley
Each level allows one more enemy to be shot in the same round, with 800f the weapon's attack.

Spirit cost   20   30   40   50   60

do you mean 800% (8x the normal damage) ? are Critical Hits maxed out or can they can be used on top of those Volley shots (creating a deadly combo) ?

I guess it is 80%...this makes sense

Offline Repr

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »

masteries speak for them selves i think.
Dual wield: again, speaks for itself. can only be used with daggers. so no throwing knives or jav's
Ignore armor:
Increases the minimum damage of the weapon.

Bonus   1 %   3 %   6 %   10 %   15 %   21 %   26 %

Evade
Increases chance of avoiding attack.

Bonus   1 %   3 %   6 %   10 %   15 %   21 %   26 %

Stealth
Decrease opponent's weapon range.

explanation: gives you more rounds to attack your enemies before they can attack you

Retaliate
If the hero make successful evade, he hits his opponent in the next round with a higher chance for critical damage.

Bonus   2 %   4 %   8 %   12 %   16 %   20 %   24 %
Spirit cost   10   15   20   25   30   35   40

Ambush
An attack with increased chance of critical hit.

Bonus   2 %   4 %   6 %   8 %   10 %   12 %   14 %

Blind
After every successful opponent's strike the hero has a chance to blind him.

Bonus   2 %   4 %   6 %   8 %   10 %   12 %   14 %

"A chat-op is never late! Nor is he ever early. He arrives precisely when we ment him to !"