Author Topic: Bane of rangers with STICKS and End to the ranger arms-race  (Read 6899 times)

Offline gunther

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
Bane of rangers with STICKS and End to the ranger arms-race
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:53:06 PM »
I've been thinking that all the rangers are going for javelins and this is just SILLY  :P because in the end, it simply becomes an arms-race to see who has the best weapon *HUNTER*, therefore deal most damage in the first 12 rounds.
IS THERE NO ALTERNATIVE to mindless stick-throwing betting everything on the first 12 rounds *SHOUT*?

Recently, Ranger X attacked every member in my guild and defeated... NO ONE.
I'm was surprised because ranger X had everything from sticks (jav) to armor lvl 18s with yellow glows (epic?).  :o
THAT must have cost a FORTUNE! *SHOUT* Personally, I have no kind of money like that .
Everyone in my guild uses rare items at best, but they all won.

Now, why is this?
Because ranger X was so caught up in filling me up with holes with his/her EPIC items but inevitably lost because myself and others survived the 12 rounds and then 'skinned him/her alive'  X) (figure-speech) when her damage is halved.

My theory of avoiding making the game an arms-race? Double-wield.

2 daggers each with a >10% critical hit bonus, 20% dex and agility from each of the weapons.

So because you have a total of 40% dex and agility increase from the weapons, the rest of the points can go towards vitality etc etc.

Result:

70% critcal hit chance (max 50% critical hit and dodge from points + 20% from weapons) + retaliate (let's say, +10%) + ambush (let's say, +10%) = total: 90% critical??!
High dex and agility = javelins have higher chance of missing in the first 12 rounds
 *heart*High health (for rangers) = to last longer than the stick-thrower.

=

BANE OF Javelin rangers WITHOUT the boring arms-race8)

What do YOU think?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 05:59:24 PM by gunther »

Crassus

Re: Bane of rangers with STICKS and End to the ranger arms-race
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »
with yellow glows (epic?).[/b]  :o

Yellow is legendary equipment...
Not only equipment is important to a fight, critical role are playing the stats and the skills...
A epic equipped player can lose from a rare equipped just because of skills...

Offline chevalier

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:22:29 AM »
Hi I a use throwing knives for battles and daggers(10-20) for pvp  and i think they are awesome!!

i am able defeat people with javelins (12-63)

As you mentioned the key is surviving 12 rounds after that its a piece of cake. Javelin wielders are my favourite hunt :P

Offline chevalier

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:25:07 AM »
Are u able to dual wield daggers...
I want to know what does that bonus when you move pointer over dual wield icon mean??
That is if I have level 7 dual wield what difference does it make than if it is 1?? ???

Offline gunther

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 02:31:30 AM »
Are u able to dual wield daggers...
I want to know what does that bonus when you move pointer over dual wield icon mean??
That is if I have level 7 dual wield what difference does it make than if it is 1?? ???

Thats a really good question and as I have no idea, I can't answer. I'm only lvl 13 and so this is just strategy but I haven't tried this myself.
I'm pretty sure that you can only put in one point for double-wield.

I am a throwing-knife user too. Same as you, I hunt javelin rangers and mystics too. Lol.

It will get harder to dodge the javelins in the higher tiers like 4 and 5 because dodge chance from points cannot exceed 50%, so after that, javelins will be better. I'm thinking of another way of avoiding changing to javelin because of the halved damage issue.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:29:00 AM by gunther »

Offline chevalier

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »
I think as long as u got sufficient armor it all comes down to minimum damage... Which is almlost same for daggers and javelins. In that way there is huge advantage...

Offline gunther

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:06:31 AM »
I think as long as u got sufficient armor it all comes down to minimum damage... Which is almlost same for daggers and javelins. In that way there is huge advantage...

Your right if we are talking minimum damage; meaning ranger vs warriors.
It's interesting how no one has tried this yet.

The vikings were able to hurl two javelins at the same time, thats a fact. I wonder why that isn't allowed in this game even they claim this game is very much realisitc. It is a pity that dual wield only works with daggers.

When I first started, I remember seeing this guy wielding a dagger and a javelin with dual wield. I guess the mods changed the rules...

Offline chevalier

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
hmmm are u sure dual wield is allowed only for daggers. But them u have to learn all weapon masteries at level 7. Wouldnt that be a waste of skill?
In that case i guess it would be lot better to develop ambush and retaliate skills.

:(

Offline gunther

• Tier 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 07:21:20 AM »
hmmm are u sure dual wield is allowed only for daggers. But them u have to learn all weapon masteries at level 7. Wouldnt that be a waste of skill?
In that case i guess it would be lot better to develop ambush and retaliate skills.

:(

What? Wait. Why are you taking about weapon mastery out of the blue?? That has nothing to do with dual wield. Those only increase your attack with that weapon by 2% or something.
Of course ambush and retaliate are excellent skills, and investing ONE point in dual wield doesn't mean you can't invest evade, ambush, retaliate, anymore.

Offline chevalier

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 09:27:50 PM »
To learn dual wield u must learn all weapon masteries at level 7. Its written there...

Offline Geomaticus

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 04:18:59 PM »
even they claim this game is very much realisitc.

Who said the game is realistic? I've never been able to travel from my province to another in 10 minutes, and I've never been defeated by a giant turtle. If I saw as many thieves and robbers running around as there are in this empire, I would move somewhere else.

It's not realistic, it's just a game.
Search the forum - read the FAQ's and News - Don't multi-post

Offline sslith

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »
To learn dual wield u must learn all weapon masteries at level 7. Its written there...

What do you mean its written there?  Where are these rules written?  I need to find them!

Offline Geomaticus

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 03:33:23 PM »
In the Skills screen, you can see the various skills available to be learned. After lvl 15, if you have chosen the path 'Night Stalker', you will see the additional skills for other weapon types
(javellin, throwing knives etc). Below them, is the skill for Dual Wield - click on the picture. You will see the description that states that you must learn all the other weapon skill to the maximum lvl 7 in order to learn dual wield.
Search the forum - read the FAQ's and News - Don't multi-post

Offline chevalier

• Tier 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 12:21:34 AM »
I think as far as PvP battles are concerned there is really no match for the crossbow provided that one has distributed points wisely.
Ideally i think one should have lot of dexterity and vitality.
And for skills critical hit and poison...