Author Topic: Changes to experience.  (Read 4430 times)

Offline DMDM

• Tier 3
  • Problem ?
    • View Profile
Changes to experience.
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:50:22 PM »
http://forum.imperialhero.org/int/index.php?topic=9346.0
Why ? I mean mercenaries are a tool. Why forcing me to use them ? Why preventing players from going faster through content ? Why basically penalizing the players that know the game/work for their gear and are able to solo hard fights ? I mean after all the artificial, rule bending, obstacles now this... Kind of disappointing. To say the least.
"I'm gonna go build my own game, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the game! "

Crassus

Re: Changes to experience.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:48:52 PM »
For the first time (?) totally agree with you. There is no logical reason for this rule... Tier 1 to 3 are not affected this much but tier 4, 5, 6 dungeons are populated from 3 and more mobs, this means that the leveling progress is becoming too slow. If someone can clear a dungeon with 5-6 mobs alone why to get penalty for that? Want to force us to use mercs? Create new more powerful mobs do not give penalties to players...
Players do not use mercs coz they do not want to share their xp (payment is easy at high levels) with this rule if i use one merc again i will gain the same xp points and i will have to pay him just to win the fight 4-5 rounds earlier?
I hope they understand that only negative results will come from that rule and recall it...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:52:49 PM by Crassus »

Judith

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:59:03 PM »
Please, be patient. I can't give any specific answer at the moment.

Offline DMDM

• Tier 3
  • Problem ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:21:38 PM »
 I can't help the feeling that this change is provoked by me posting NMNM's combat logs. Given the timing and all.
 Fact (yes, fact) is however, I am sure soloing dungeons as a manner of leveling up isn't something new in the office. Since there are people in Deathstyle that volleyed their way through Tier 5. Solo, obviously. Now all of a sudden that becoming undesirable . Like I said, disappointing.

P.S.

Ironically I saved AP's on NMNM thinking I would get more experience since the zone changed from white to yellow. Guess I made the wrong choice, huh ?
"I'm gonna go build my own game, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the game! "

Cuorion

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 02:38:15 PM »
Come on. Conspiracy theories??

For the record, I agree with DMDM on the matter (aka on his first post).

Offline DMDM

• Tier 3
  • Problem ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 03:10:08 PM »
Come on. Conspiracy theories??

For the record, I agree with DMDM on the matter (aka on his first post).
I never leave home without my tinfoil hat if that's what you're implying.

Judith

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 03:18:31 PM »
I can't help the feeling that this change is provoked by me posting NMNM's combat logs.

You are wrong. It has nothing to do with you..

Offline andy_eu

• Tier 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »
You are wrong. It has nothing to do with you..

I totally agree here. Generally speaking you don't make changes taking into account players suggestions. It has been so since IO. :D

And now on topic: I personally consider it a good change, cause people do not spend that many time in lower tiers, they fight to reach quickly higher tiers.

Offline DMDM

• Tier 3
  • Problem ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 07:39:33 PM »
I totally agree here. Generally speaking you don't make changes taking into account players suggestions. It has been so since IO. :D

And now on topic: I personally consider it a good change, cause people do not spend that many time in lower tiers, they fight to reach quickly higher tiers.
So you're saying that you spent (N) amount of time leveling up and the players leveling up now should spend Nx2 because they want to reach quickly (N) higher tiers as opposed to you who took your time (N). Did you read George Orwell's "Animal Farm" ? You sound just like the pigs there. "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." So just because you are in the higher tiers already, the others that aren't there should double the amount of effort you put in because you somehow think they need to. Splitting the gear in two separate sub-tiers aside, since that alone is not enough. Flawless logic.

Offline andy_eu

• Tier 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 08:04:31 PM »
So you're saying that you spent (N) amount of time leveling up and the players leveling up now should spend Nx2 because they want to reach quickly (N) higher tiers as opposed to you who took your time (N). Did you read George Orwell's "Animal Farm" ? You sound just like the pigs there. "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." So just because you are in the higher tiers already, the others that aren't there should double the amount of effort you put in because you somehow think they need to. Splitting the gear in two separate sub-tiers aside, since that alone is not enough. Flawless logic.

Just for your information, I spent more then a year before reaching level 50. I have waited a lot more then Nx2 to upgrade from a tier to another.
People should have fun in lower tiers also, but... you can comment here as long as you want and compare everyone with characters from books as long as you want.

Crassus

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:50:33 PM »
You sound just like the pigs there. "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
This sounds a bit offensive...

To topic now...
From this rule only high tiers are affected. At low tiers (3 and below) there are not many dungeons with high mob population. This means that low tier players still will advance to high tiers "quick". But from tier 4 and above leveling will be hard.
Yesterday i calculated that i'll need 8-9 Aps to take the level... Due to this rule i used 13 Aps...

Also it is a bit weird that 2 rare mobs giving 2300+xp and 1 rare with 4 simple gives 1400xp almost 1000 less.

As you have noticed the rule announcement is gone... This means there will be changes to this rule. So instead of arguing if it is good or bad, lets post our suggestions to help them come out with something better and more balanced.

Here is mine suggestion.
Instead of "punishing" the players for not using merc, you should "award" those they use, the result will be the same but the way there will be nicer...
For example:
Now if you go solo to a "populated" dungeon for leveling you will get, lets say, 2000xp per AP(with the rule applied is 1000).
If you use 1 merc, you will get 1000xp per AP.
But if you reward a player when use mercs, it will be like this:
You go solo you take 2000xp
You use one merc and you get, lets say, 1500xp (instead of 1000xp).
This means that you are awarded with 500xp for using merc. You also use merc's bonuses, fight is over with less hp loss (means less gold for potions), bonus to gold/item drop, etc.

And you give the choice to the player between quick level up with less gold gain.
Or normal level up with merc use, and bigger financial benefits...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 09:55:08 PM by Crassus »

Offline Jago

• Tier 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 07:52:19 AM »
What is this rule you are speaking of?

I haven't seen any announcement regarding XP yesterday or today (Italian build).

Judith

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 09:21:09 AM »
The rule is still going to be modified. When I have exact info about it, I will announce it. Till then, topic locked.